Reports To: News Director, Assistant News Director
Purpose/reason for this Position: The primary focus of the Reporter is to gather all necessary information and resources for various news stories either in person or via telephone.
Core Job Functions:
– Deliver compelling stories during every reporting shift Enterprises ideas for News coverage
– Ensures photographer takes necessary pictures to best illustrate the news story.
– Writes, produces and prepares for air all news stories assigned, including the delivery of those stories on tape or live from the scene.
– Develops personal contacts within our service area and maintains regular contacts with those individuals.
– Works with photographer and/or tape editor to insure a factual, high quality, professional report.
– Involved in community organizations and represents the station at functions and events as assigned.
– Present an image that fosters public confidence
– The ability to shoot professional video and edit
– Posting to website and social media
– Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge Skills & Abilities: Ability to speak standard English and write grammatically correct English. Experience in reporting and newsgathering. Ability to use personal computer, videotape machine, and type 35 wpm. Must possess a valid State Driver’s License (or be able to get one).
Education Requirements: A four year degree in liberal arts or journalism is preferred and/or two years WORK experience.
Physical Requirements: Dexterity for operating keys and buttons on computer and typewriter. Vision and hearing and vocal communication skills used to gather and report news. Ability to climb ladders and get in remote places to report stories. Ability to use radios, audio equipment, telephones, etc. in newsgathering. Works, as required, outdoors in all kinds and extremes of weather. Must be able to drive a vehicle.
Relationships: Director News, All news personnel General Public
Statement about Other Duties: The foregoing is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all functions essential to the job for which the employee is responsible, nor an exhaustive list of the minimum requirements and specifications necessary to perform the essential functions, including all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different functions be performed when circumstances change or exigencies require it.
Send Resume & Tape to: Tina.Luque-Blacklocke@wtkr.com 720 Boush Street, Norfolk, VA 23510
WTKR-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer