Job Title: News Producer
Station: WTKR TV3 Norfolk, VA
Reports To: News Director, Executive Producer
Purpose/reason for this Position:
The primary focus of the News Producer is to produce, write, and gather information and graphics for newscasts.
Core Job Functions:
- Writing News Stories: Consistently writes compelling, clear, news stories and teases, making maximum use of video, graphics, live shots, etc. to achieve superb story telling.
- Successfully produce one or more newscasts daily: Newscasts are completed flawlessly and meet all deadlines prior to air, including timing of newscast changes as needed
- Utilization of Graphics: Able to select appropriate graphics to help explain and showcase stories while using station branding, and to enhance storytelling by their use and placement.
- Suggestion & Development of Story Ideas: Coordinates with team to develop story ideas and offers innovative suggestions for story coverage; understands newscast audience make-up
- Timing of Newscasts and Managing Change: Able to successfully construct and time a rundown, and ensure that all components (general news stories, live shots, graphics, etc.) are in place; able to manage changes (including moving live shots, updating stories, and adding breaking news) while the newscast is on the air.
- Editing: edits several elements of show everyday. Training provided.
- Web Posting and Social Media: write and post original items for wtkr.com, wtkr.com, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Minimum Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
Ability to type, use computers, and other such equipment. Command of the language and English grammar and spelling. Ability to work under extreme pressure and deadlines. Must possess a valid State Driver’s License (or be able to get one.)
A degree is preferred, and a minimum of three years work experience producing a daily local newscast is required.
Dexterity to operate a typewriter, computer, and other such equipment. Communication skills used in an office setting. Vision to review and approve news scripts, watch video, etc.
INTERNAL CONTACTS: Executive Producer, News Director, Anchors/Reporters and Photographers
Interested parties should submit resume and references to Tina Luque, News Director, WTKR-TV, 720 Boush St., Norfolk, VA 23510, or email email@example.com.
WTKR-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer