NORFOLK, Va. - Police across Hampton Roads are warning about package theft this holiday season.
Each year millions of packages are stolen.
Portsmouth Police sent the following tips to protect packages:
- Ask your employer if they will allow you to have your packages sent to work.
- Request a signature confirmation from the shipper or ask the shipper to hold the package at their facility for you for pick up.
- Ask a trusted neighbor or friend, who is home during the day, if your package(s) can be delivered to their home.
- If you are purchasing items from a large retailer online or by telephone, have the packages sent to a local store for pick up.
- Customize your package shipments. Many shippers, such as UPS and FED-EX, will allow you to request a specific delivery date, time or location. You can also get real time tracking for your package deliveries. (A small fee may apply.)
- Provide the shipper with delivery instructions if you want your packages left in a specific spot at your home.
- If you see anyone taking packages from homes in your community, call the police department immediately!