Discarded smoking materials believed to be cause of Norfolk house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORFOLK, Va. – Fire officials say they believe improperly discarded smoking materials were the cause of a fire at a home on Effie Street.

Units arrived around 11:30 a.m. and saw fire on the outside of the home.

The fire was extinguished and called under control at 11:48 a.m.

One person was home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.

No one was displaced.