Janelle Burchfield with the The NEON Festival and Seth Feman from the Chrysler Museum of Art talk with us about the festival in Downtown Norfolk’s NEON (New Energy of Norfolk) District September 15 to 18. The free festival welcomes everyone to experience the NEON District’s offerings through art exhibitions, local and national performances and mural tours.
The kick-off will start with the Chrysler Museum’s Third Thursday event on September 15 at the Museum starting at 5 p.m. and at the Glass Studio at 8 p.m. The Museum is celebrating the return of Norfolk native and Governor’s School for the Arts alum, artist Brian Bress, with his solo exhibition In the Box.
Festival events throughout the NEON District include:
• Glass Wheel Studio exhibition reception Friday, September 16, 7-10 p.m. featuring Gabriel Greenlaw and Emily MK
• Work | Release exhibition opening reception Friday, September 16, 5 p.m. for Between Further and Farther by Sarah Blood
• The Plot Beer Garden Friday, September 16, 5-9 p.m. with cold drinks, food trucks, live music and performances.
• Flip the Switch: Seep NFK, Friday, September 16, 9 p.m. official unveiling of neon art sculpture Seep NFK on 801 Granby Street
• d’Art Center fundraiser at The Plot Saturday, September 17, 5-9 p.m., featuring art activities, art by d'Art Center artists, live music, food and drink, including Smartmouth beer
• NEON Family Day at The Plot Sunday, September 18, 12-5 p.m. with puppets, storytelling, crafts, games and acoustic music from local bands
• Hunter at Sunrise live broadcast and Tidewater Arts Outreach Acoustic Brunch on Sunday, September 18 at Work | Release 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
For a full list of art installations and entertainment, please visit http://www.neonnfk.com/festival.