Firefighters arrived at the Booker Street home in the Phoebus section of the city to find heavy flames coming from the front and roof of the home a little before midnight on Wednesday. The fire had spread to the attic.
A large portion of the roof was destroyed . Neighboring homes were not affected by the flames.
Everyone had already fled the house when firefighters arrived and no injuries were reported.
Fire crews were able to prevent the flames from damaging the two homes next door.
The Red Cross put the family up in a hotel.
Officials say the fire started between the cushions of a couch. They say it was caused by careless smoking. This fire was ruled accidental.