The Virginia Department of Education has awarded 47 new grants to find 21st Century Community Learning Centers across the state.
Eight schools in the Hampton Roads region were awarded grants:
- Hampton Public Schools – Lindsay Middle
- Newport News Public Schools – Carver Elementary
- Newport News Public Schools – Hines Middle
- Newport News Public Schools – Jenkins Elementary
- Newport News Public Schools – Sedgefield Elementary
- Southampton County Public Schools – Southampton Middle
- Surry County Public Schools – Luther Porter Jackson Middle
- Virginia Beach Public Schools – Green Run Collegiate Charter High
According to the VDOE, . the competitive grants, ranging from $50,000 to $200,000, will allow school divisions, faith-based organizations and community groups to provide tutoring, enrichment activities that complement regular academic programs, literacy and other educational services to the students and their families.