Portsmouth, Virginia – A gas leak at Lindab, Inc in the 2600 block of Airline Boulevard caused Victory Boulevard to be closed for several hours Saturday morning between Airline Boulevard and Portsmouth Boulevard.
According to fire officials, the leak began around 8:30am when workers were filling a forklift from a 35 gallon propane tank.
The emergency shut-off switch did not stop the leak and the fire department responded, as well as AmeriGas, the supplier of the propane.
The AmeriGas emergency repair technician was able to stop the leak.
Evacuations were not needed and the fire department continued to monitor the atmospheric levels of the gas as a precaution.
Crews began to clear the scene around 11:00am.