Yuck! Mom finds mold growing inside son’s juice box

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW BERLIN, Wisc. – When mold grows on food, most parents would opt to remove the mold before serving the food to their child or simple throw the whole thing out. But what if the mold is in a place you can’t see — like the inside of a juice box.

A Wisconsin mother told Fox6Now.com when her son informed her his juice tasted funny, she opened up the juice box and discovered mold inside.

“It took up half of the juice box and at that point it was brown, black, green,” Suzanne Hogue said. “I didn’t even know what I was looking at at first. I was so shocked when I opened it up. I had no idea what it was. It was so repulsive and it had an odor.”

Mold can grow on any food product once it is exposed to air, food safety experts told Fox6Now.com.  They said there was likely an undetected hole in the juice box.

Click here to read what Capri Sun has done to help ease the minds of parents who might be worried about moldy drinks.

Health experts with the Milwaukee Health Department said ingesting the mold would not cause any severe medical issues, unless the person had mold hypersensitivity or allergies.


Comments are closed.