Hampton Christian High School evacuated due to smoke smell

NewsChannel 3

Hampton Christian High School was evacuated due to reports of a smoke smell.

Officials say it was related to a small electrical fire in a light fixture inside the boys bathroom.

The office manager put out the fire using a fire extinguisher.

Students were evacuated due to concerns about smoke.

An email was sent out to parents.

Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.

The following letter was sent out to parents:

Dear HCA Parents,

Now that we have more details, I want to send you an updated email. First, a small fire was located in a light fixture in the Boys’ Restroom in the NEWEST section of the HCMS/HS building. Our Office Manager, Mrs. Ball, was alerted and able to immediately put out the fire with an extinguisher. Meanwhile students and staff were able to quickly evacuate the building, and all of them were accounted for (as we rehearse during our regular fire drills).

Firemen from the nearby fire station were immediately on the scene because HCMS/HS is connected to the fire department through our school alarm system. The firemen thoroughly checked out the building and determined that the fire was contained to
the light fixture. Due to the fact that some students and staff may have respiratory health issues and sensitivities, the decision was made to dismiss the students and staff early. Within the hour, after advisement from the firemen on the scene, we sent out an email to inform our parents of the incident. Tomorrow, we will be able to return and occupy the entire HCMS/HS building (to include the newest section of the building) and resume ALL classes as usual.

If you have any further questions, please contact myself or Mrs. Rivera at 838-7427.

Marilyn K. Dayton
HCS Superintendent
HCMS/HS Principal

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,902 other followers