21-year-old arrested in 2008 murder of two Newport News teens
Tyrone Demitrius Batten
Newport News, Va. – A Hampton man has been arrested in the 2008 shooting deaths of two teens in Newport News.
21-year-old Tyrone Demitrius Batten has been charged in the murders of 16-year-old Barry Eugene Richardson and 15-year-old Keon Otis Flemming.
Richardson and Flemming were shot on a sidewalk on 35th Street on December 30, 2008 around 7pm. Both died shortly after being transported to the hospital.
At the time of the shooting, police believed the deaths were gang-related and that Richardson and Flemming had exchanged gunshots with another group.
Batten, who lived on Fort Worth Street in Hampton, has been charged with two counts of first degree murder, one count of shooting a firearm in a public place causing injury, one count of using a firearm in commission of a felony and participating in a criminal act as part of a gang.
He remains in custody with no bond.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'