Man arrested for assault after being accused of following teen to bus stop in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, Va. – Portsmouth police arrested a man they say started following a teenager this morning.
Investigators say the 16-year-old was walking to the bus stop at Nelson Street and Peach Street – that’s near Effingham Street and Jefferson Avenue.
They say she noticed the man behind her and started walking faster; and so did he.
Officers say the teen ran back to her home and the man took off.
A little later, police say they found the man and charged him with assault.
The suspect has been identified as 58-year-old David L. Liggins of the 1900 block of Prentis Avenue in Portsmouth.
Police say this incident is not connected to last week’s abduction case.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates as they become available.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Update: Two dead in homicide-suicide shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'