HRT bus service to remain suspended on Friday
Update: Regional bus service will be suspended for one more day on Friday because significant amounts of snow and ice remain piled up on the curbs of streets, blocking access to buses for customers. Light rail and ferry service resumed on Thursday and will operate a normal schedule Friday.
Hampton Roads Transit said Wednesday that it will resume regular ferry and light rail service starting Thursday, Jan. 30, but keep buses off the street for another day to allow snow clearing work to continue.
Bus service is being held back because many primary and secondary streets essential to the bus network remain difficult to drive upon especially near the shoulders where customers board by the curb. Bus stops also are especially difficult for HRT customers to use with snow piled up around them.
All bus maintenance personnel are expected to report for duty.
All bus transportation personnel should call in for further direction. Administrative offices will be open for regular hours although non essential administrative employees only are permitted to take leave if they cannot come in.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- UPDATE: Cargo ship runs aground in Virginia Beach; crews to start salvage plan Friday
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call