71-year-old man shot to death in Newport News
Newport News, Va. – A 71-year-old man from Hampton was killed after being shot in the head Sunday afternoon in Newport News.
The victim has been identified as Joseph Henry Williams, Jr. of the 200 block of Cherry Avenue in Hampton, Virginia.
According to police, they received a call for a shooting around 3:30 p.m. in the area of 33rd and Marshall Ave. When officers got there, they found the man unconscious in the seat of a Honda van.
Police say the man had been shot in the head. He was transported to a hospital where he later died.
According to the victim’s wife, he was driving home from church and had stopped to buy dinner for the two of them.
According to police, two men had been shooting at each other when the victim drove up 33rd St. and was hit in the crossfire.
Anyone with information is asked to call the crime line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Grandma charged after leaving 6 young grandchildren alone in motel
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found