Squadrons put on safety stand down following crashes in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, Va. – NewsChannel 3 has learned new details about two military crashes off the coast of Virginia Beach in the past ten days.
The helicopter crews are now back in the air.
The pilot from Wednesday’s jet crash is still in the hospital and in critical condition.
Navy Rear Admiral Troy Shoemaker says we could soon learn what led to that jet crashing into the ocean.
“I can tell you we have recovered the deployable in-flight recording system that’s on board and what that will allow us to do is, it’s a black box if you will, for the F-18 and will allow the mishap investigators to look at the data from that black box and hopefully figure out what happened in that mishap. We’ll take a look and then make a decision from what that tells us and interview with the pilot whether we need to go after and eventually recover that wreckage as well,” says Shoemaker.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery