James City County Police urge residents to ‘lock up’ to prevent crime
James City County Police need your help.
In response to a local increase in thefts from vehicles, police have issued the following statement:
Theft is often a crime of opportunity; the thief looks for unlocked doors and unsecured property that he or she can take quickly and quietly. Frequently stolen items include GPS receivers, laptops, purses, iPods and stereos.
Fortunately, there are safeguards you can take to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of crime.
• Always lock your vehicle.
• Keep valuables out of plain view inside your vehicle.
• Park your vehicle in a garage or a well-lit parking area.
• Never leave the keys in an unattended vehicle.
• Lock your doors even if you are going inside for a moment.
• Install and use an alarm system.
• Start or join a neighborhood watch program and get to know your neighbors.
If you see a crime in progress, call 911. Otherwise, report suspicious activity to James City County Police by calling 757-253-1800.