Woman says she was robbed by man she was trying to help
Chesapeake, Va. – Del Hutto was trying to be a good Samaritan by helping a man in need. The man ended up robbing her and it’s not the first time he’s hit this part of Hickory.
“Took the $50 dollars and handed it to him very quickly because I felt that threat,” says Hutto.
And the words were, almost felt like a sword?”
“Yeah the words were, ‘Give me what you got’ and then I promptly told him, ‘That’s all I got,’” says Hutto.
The man ran up the drive way to Del and at first he was friendly. He said that he knew Del’s husband and his car had broken down and he needed a ride home. Del didn’t recognize him; she had her guard up and knew this was a scam.
Del’s husband says a man fitting the same description robbed him giving the same broken down car story a couple years ago.
Saturday afternoon, Del was by herself, unloading her car, when the man came up to her.
She didn’t feel comfortable giving him a ride, so she handed over the money he asked for hoping he would quickly leave.
“And I pulled out $20 but that didn’t seem to be enough,” says Hutto.
The man spotted a folded $50 in the corner of Del’s wallet, and demanded it.
The robber told Del his name was Vernon Jordan. He’s described as a man in his early 50s. He was last seen wearing a burgundy shirt with black dress shoes and a yellow jacket with matching pants.
If you have any information, call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach