Team3_1b-80
Team 3 Professionals

Visit them today!

Mom hopes her photos will help women love their bodies

Posted on: 11:08 am, December 18, 2013, by , updated on: 11:09am, December 18, 2013

Photo credit Body Image Movement Facebook

Photo credit: Body Image Movement | Facebook

AUSTRALIA — One mom is striking back at the woman who posted a picture of her toned body following childbirth, asking other women what their excuse was.

Taryn Brumfitt, 35, is a mother of three who has been on mission to encourage women to live healthy and love their bodies at every shape and size. She calls her mission the Body Image Movement and earlier this year she became an internet celebrity after posting a very nontraditional “before & after” photo of herself on Facebook that went viral.

Photo credit: Body Image Movement | Facebook

“I’m on a quest to redefine and rewrite the ideals of beauty. Women have been brainwashed into thinking fat, wrinkles and cellulite are bad. They’re not. It’s just a part of being a human being,” Brumfitt told the Daily Mail.

Recently, she caught the media’s attention with a blog post she wrote in response to a viral Facebook photo that was put up by a woman named Maria Kang. Kang, who is also a mother of three, put up a photo of herself, looking very fit, along with her three kids, the youngest being eight months old, with a caption that read ‘What’s your excuse?’ The photo sparked outrage among several women, and Brumfitt became a voice for them with her blog post entitled, “Dear Maria Kang…this is my excuse!”

‘To look like she does is (for most people) completely doable, if you are willing to sacrifice most of the things that you love. And I wasn’t willing to do that. I don’t know about you, but I really enjoy hanging out with my kids, sleeping in on the weekends, eating what I want and when I want and having the occasional night out with the girls,’ Brumfitt wrote in her blog.

RELATED: Fit mom defends herself against claims of ‘fat shaming’

She also addressed her critics, and wrote that she was not advocating a non-healthy lifestyle, but rather a healthy one that encompasses every part of what she considers health to be.

‘Health is physical, emotional and spiritual and so much more that is not visible and not always obvious to others,’ she wrote.

For Brumfitt, the love for her post-baby body was not always there. She said after her three children were born, she even considered having plastic surgery. In 2012, she went as far as visiting a doctor for a consult, and scheduled surgeries for a tummy tuck, breast lift, and breast implants. She said she almost went through with it until she had an epiphany moment one day as she watched her daughter, Mikaela, play.

At that moment, Brumfitt decided that if she was ever going to teach her daughter to love her own body, then she would have to be that example for her. She cancelled her surgeries, and even entered a sports figure competition, which she trained 15 weeks for, reaching her fitness goals without medical intervention.

In her blog, Brumfitt details the changes her body has gone through over the years, in sometimes extremely personal detail, as part of her mission to be real with both herself and her audience. She hopes to empower women (and men) to embrace their body and all the changes it will endure throughout their lives, and in turn discover real health and happiness.

Credit:  | WDAF

• stacie says:

I appreciate what she has done. Anyone can pose for a photo and make it flawless by photo shopping it, but it takes a strong, courageous woman to show off her true body. Thank you, from one mother to another.

• Amber says:

As mothers, we should love our bodies. They will never look the way that they did when we were 17, 27, 37…Bodies change as we age, and the way our bodies look after bearing children just add to their beauty. I went from a size 1 at 19 to a size 3 after my first at 20; a size 5 after my second at 21, and a size 7 after the birth of my third at 23. Less then a year later I had a full hysterectomy and went back down to a 4. At 33 I am a size 8 and could care less. Beauty has nothing to do with your size. What matters is your ability to be happy with how you look and feel. Period.

• Michele richard says:

I am a mother of 4 ranging from 31-13yrs old. I am now in my late 50′s and my body certainly has changed over time. A big thank you to Taryn for celebrating real moms. It’s about time!!!

• Josh says:

It’s really a shame though that her movement won’t actually fix anything. Because as long as there is supermodels, actresses, and other things that shove into women and men’s heads what beauty is supposed to look like, most of the sheeple in this country will believe it to be true. You would literally have to be Amish not to be exposed to something in modern society that tells you what you should look like. There could be 1000 of this woman and they still would not even make a dent in the giant picture of what Americans believe to be beauty. It’s a great idea, but so is solar-powered cars.

• Amber says:

Adele I don’t think your seeing the point of this, why do people have to be so negative! Good for you Taryn for doing and saying what you did cause I’m there and I’m struggling but I know that I don’t have to be a size 1 to look good and I’m ok with my body, I will still try to work on it but if it don’t work out its ok cause this is me! :)

• Jimmy says:

Actually the before looks better than the after, No offense intended.

• I don’t think so, I think the after-body looks just as good, but different. But when I compare her face, the after looks so much better. She looks happier and more relaxed.

• w says:

I’m all for celebrating different body types, and this woman looks beautiful before and after, but why bash another more fit mom, Maria Kang, in the process? Cant there be moms who work out and others who don’t? Just because you spend an hour at the gym and eat healthy doesn’t mean you neglect your children.

• Adele says:

So what exactly makes the fit woman not qualified to be a mom, or not a “real mom”? All I see is someone that took the initiative to take some pride in herself and make positive changes. I don’t see how this makes her fictional. I doubt the other mom has put forth the effort that the fit one has, but somehow this makes her a better mom?

• kd says:

She’s not putting down the fit mom, all she’s saying is to love your body no matter what. If you want to get in better shape go ahead and do it but don’t put down people who may have a slower metabolism or people who just choose to not be as fit as society says we should be.

• Heidi Lufkin says:

Thank you showing how women are the most beautful after a baby.
    I was 122 before my son. I feel more woman now with curves then I did before my son. Women should be proud of there curves.