People Taking Action: Marine Corps League Detachment 1317 honored for donating to needy kids
Smithfield, Va. (WTKR) – NewsChannel is honoring Marine Corps League Detachment 1317 of the Middle Peninsula with a People Taking Action Award.
The group was presented the award Tuesday by NewsChannel 3′s Todd Corillo after they donated toys to the Isle of Wight Area Toys for Tots program following a reported theft.
The toys believed to be stolen were returned Tuesday, but that didn’t stop the group from bringing excess toys from their Toys for Tots drive to Smithfield.
They unloaded box after box heaping with gifts, a total of 334 toys, books and bikes donated to the effort.
“Every child needs and deserves a toy at Christmas. As a group we decided that’s what we are going to make happen,” explained George Gates.
Following the presentation of the People Taking Action Award, Isle of Wight Toys for Tots Area Coordinator Elizabeth Moose expressed her gratitude.
“It just warms up my heart and makes you believe in Santa Claus,” she said.
With the donation and additional toys coming in from the community, more children will wake-up to gifts under the tree Christmas morning.
“We are going to be able to give additional toys,” Moose said. “We’re going to be able to fill some late orders that we had to tell last week – ‘We’re running out of toys here- we might not be able to help you.’”
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found