Newport News home condemened after Monday morning kitchen fire
Newport News Fire crews responded to a house fire in the 00 block of Astor Drive just after 8:30 a.m.
Units arrived to find light smoke coming from the one-story home.
Two occupants escaped from the home but one suffered a minor burn injury to the hand. They were treated at the scene and were not transported to a hospital.
The fire was under control at 8:55 a.m.
The cause of the fire is being attributed to unattended cooking. Preliminary damage is estimated to be $10,000.
The house has been condemned. The two occupants are displaced but will be staying with relatives.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery