Watch live: President Bill Clinton launches ‘Stronger Together’ bus tour in North Carolina

Space heater sparks apartment fire in Suffolk

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
fire photo 12-15-13

Suffolk, Va. – A fire sparked by a space heater left the second floor of a two-story apartment building unlivable on Sunday.

Fire and Rescue units responded to a call of an apartment fire in the 100 block of Lee Street shortly before Noon.

When they arrived they found smoke showing from the second floor windows and porch of the building, which is made up of four separate apartments.

The blaze was contained to two rooms but the entire second floor apartment was ruled unlivable.

Two adults were displaced from the fire and one cat has not been found.

One occupant was treated at the scene but refused medical transport to the hospital.  The American Red Cross is assisting the two adults that were displaced.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental due to the space heater being too close to combustibles.