Obama nominates first woman for Navy’s number 2 post
Vice Adm. Michelle Howard
President Obama has nominated Vice Adm. Michelle Howard to be the Navy’s vice chief of naval operations, a nomination would make Howard the first woman and first African-American to hold the Navy’s No. 2 post.
If confirmed she would also become the first black woman to attain four-star rank in the Navy, according to the Navy Times.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced Howard’s nomination on Friday.
Howard, a surface warfare officer, is a 1982 Naval Academy grad who has commanded the amphibious dock landing ship Rushmore and Expeditionary Strike Group 2. She has a master’s degree from the Army’s Command and General Staff College, according to her official bio.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Victim's family angry after killer gets unsupervised leave