Obama nominates first woman for Navy’s number 2 post
Vice Adm. Michelle Howard
President Obama has nominated Vice Adm. Michelle Howard to be the Navy’s vice chief of naval operations, a nomination would make Howard the first woman and first African-American to hold the Navy’s No. 2 post.
If confirmed she would also become the first black woman to attain four-star rank in the Navy, according to the Navy Times.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced Howard’s nomination on Friday.
Howard, a surface warfare officer, is a 1982 Naval Academy grad who has commanded the amphibious dock landing ship Rushmore and Expeditionary Strike Group 2. She has a master’s degree from the Army’s Command and General Staff College, according to her official bio.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery