James City County man arrested, charged with abduction
James City County, Va. – A James City County man has been arrested and charged with abduction and violating a protective order, according to Major Steve Rubino of the James City County Police Department.
Police have charged 33-year-old Dennie L. Rankins.
Rankins is accused of abducting his ex-girlfriend, taking her keys, and driving her into Isle of Wight County.
Rankins was arrested on November 15, 2013, in Isle of Wight County.
Police say Rankins met with his 30-year-old ex-girlfriend on November 15 in the 5400 block of Skalak Drive. The victim told police that she got into a vehicle, and then Rankins took her keys and laptop, and began looking for her cell phone. He then drove away with the victim in the car. Rankins told the victim he would shoot her if she tried to run away. Police say Rankins was eventually stopped at the Bojangles’ restaurant in Carrollton, Virginia. That’s when the victim was able to use her cell phone and call police.
Isle of Wight Sheriff’s deputies responded to the call, and took Rankins into custody.
Rankins was taken into police custody again in James City County on November 18, police say.
Rankins is in the custody of Western Tidewater Regional Jail.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study