Some in Hampton Roads still trying to reach friends and family in Philippines
With widespread devastation in parts of the Philippines, some people in Hampton Roads are still trying to make contact with family and friends.
“We have not heard from some of the friends that are in the north of Cebu and that is where we are hearing that 80 – 90 percent of the homes have been damaged, completely destroyed,” said Dr. Rise Faith Dajoa.
“It’s nerve-wracking for a lot,” Naomi Estaris said.
It’s a stressful situation that they were just in last month when an 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit some of the same areas.
“That’s what’s disheartening, because we were able to easily get in touch with them then and now, not one word,” said Estaris.
Last month’s earthquake is also making things more challenging.
Dr. Dajoa’s brother is a physician at a hospital in Cebu.
Although it was damaged in the earthquake, they’re needed to help with typhoon survivors.
Knowing what their loved ones are going through, people in Hampton Roads are taking action.
A number of fundraisers are being organized to raise money for those dealing with unimaginable destruction and loss.
“It’s disheartening. You do cry and you do wonder, and so the only thing we can do is use the resources we do have,” said Estaris.
Operation Blessing International is also helping. They’re shipping several water purification devices to the Philippines from their Chesapeake warehouse which should arrive Wednesday.
Here are some of the local fundraisers taking place:
- Granby Theater, Norfolk – Friday, 7- 10 pm — Additional details to follow.
- Cebuano Speaking Association of Tidewater - Fundraiser to be held Friday Nov. 22, 6:30 pm at the San Lorenzo Spiritual Center, 4556 Indian River Rd, Virginia Beach
- Waray Waray Association of Tidewater – Fundraising dinner dance to be held Friday Nov. 29, 6:30 – 11 pm — Philippine Cultural Center (PCC), Baxter Road, Virginia Beach. Cost: $20/person
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car