Les Smith Reports: How Hampton Roads voted
Many people have been asking about how specific cities in Hampton Roads voted in the Governor’s race on Tuesday.
Terry McAuliffe ran up huge margins in Norfolk and Portsmouth that wiped out Ken Cuccinelli’s gains in more rural areas.
Cuccinelli carried Virginia Beach by more than 2,000 votes, but lost Chesapeake by almost the same numbers.
McAuliffe won big in Newport News and Hampton, two other areas where he campaigned hard. He also won by a wide margin in Suffolk.
In the deadlocked Attorney General’s race, the numbers were similar, except in Virginia Beach.
Cuccinelli carried the resort city by a little over 2,000 votes but Republican Mark Obenshain won the Beach by more than 8,000.
That same thing happened in other cities across Virginia, so Cuccinelli lost by two percentage points, but we still don’t know whether Obenshain won or lost.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- UPDATE: Cargo ship runs aground in Virginia Beach; crews to start salvage plan Friday
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call