City of Portsmouth celebrates being named “Coast Guard City”
Portsmouth, Va. – Virginia residents were able to enjoy fun-filled festivities today at Festival Park in the NTELOS Pavilion in Portsmouth today. The City of Portsmouth partnered with the US Coast Guard to celebrate Portsmouth being named an official “Coast Guard City”.
From 11am-5pm, the community was able to come out and enjoy live music, food contests, and pony rides! In the midst of all these wonderful activities, residents were reminded of a long-standing relationship between the US Coast Guard and the City of Portsmouth. A partnership that dates back more than 200 years when the Revenue Cutter Virginia sailed through Portsmouth’s waters years ago.
Because of this honored relationship, the City of Portsmouth received congressional approval to be named the “Coast Guard City” in 2009 and still celebrates this friendship today.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery