Norfolk native brings Color Purple to Willet Hall
Portsmouth, Va. – Despite the chill in the air, many ventured out to Willet Hall to see the hit Broadway play, “The Color Purple” this weekend.
Norfolk native Torrey Russell and musical director Sherrod Brown brought this classic story to the Willet Hall stage. The play features Grammy nominated musical scores filled with gospel, jazz, pop and the blues to tell the heart-warming story of Celie.
The play was produced by Russell’s group, Broadway in the Hood. Broadway in the Hood is a non-profit organization that allows youth from poverty stricken areas to explore the world of arts, in hopes of inspiring them to share their love with others.
For more information on The Color Purple and many other plays put on by Torrey Russell, visit www.broadwayinthehood.org/
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- VB Navy SEAL arrested for selling military weapons, ammunition
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Video: Utah Jazz mascot gets revenge on fan who poured beer over his head