Some get preview of Captain Phillips movie in Norfolk
Norfolk, Va. -The new Tom Hanks movie “Captain Phillips” is being reviewed as his best work in years.
The movie has a lot of ties to Hampton Roads and it opens nationwide Friday
On Tuesday night, people in Norfolk got a sneak peek.
The silver screen opening was glamorous with a military twist.
Captain Frank Castellano, who was the commanding officer on the U.S.S. Bainbridge when it rescued Phillips from Somali pirates, attended the event.
Tom Hanks researched the role of Captain Phillips here and much of the film was shot off the coast of Virginia Beach.
Everyone at the event knew the outcome of the story.
Captain Richard Phillips saved his crew on the Maersk Alabama and was then taken hostage by Somali pirates.
This film will be a refresher course of the brave actions the Virginia Beach-based SEAL Team Six took to bring Phillips to safety.
He just didn’t know doing his job would start as a heroic deed and end up on the big screen.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen