UPDATE: Two injured during attempted robbery in Newport News
Newport News, Va. – Police say two people were injured during an attempted robbery Saturday night in Newport News.
It happened outside of Speedy Mart, located on Jefferson Avenue, around 7 p.m.
Police say units responded to the scene around 7:15 p.m. in reference to a shooting. Officers found two people injured; a 52-year-old Newport News woman and a 58-year-old Newport News man.
The investigation showed the man was the victim of a robbery. The man was approached outside of the store by a young man wearing a dark grey or black hooded sweatshirt, dark pants, and a black and white bandana partially covering his face.
Police say the suspect demanded money, and the victim complied. During the robbery, the victim attempted to get away by moving toward the front door of the business.
The suspect fired a gunshot, which shattered the door glass, and entered the business.
Inside the business, a female victim was struck in the elbow by the gunfire. Police say the male victim was injured by the shattering glass. Both were transported to a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The suspect ran away from the scene, heading northbound.
Police say the business was not robbed; the investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- UPDATE: "Katherine" the Great White Shark spotted in the surf off Kitty Hawk
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly