Fugitive now in custody thanks to NewsChannel 3’s viewers
U.S. Marshals say a dangerous fugitive has been ducking them for quite some time.
Last night, Deputy U.S. Marshal Timothy Alley turned to NewsChannel 3 for help, and one of our viewers took action against crime.
It turns out Anthony Lamar Downing was still in the area, and was scheduled for an appointment at a hospital, the Hampton VA Medical Center. Alley says deputy marshals asked Hampton police for help, and they got him.
“Mr. Downing was arrested at the VA hospital. He attempted to flee police when he saw them coming, he attempted to go out the back door. They had all the doors covered and he was arrested without incident,” says Alley.
Alley says Downing has a history of crimes centered around drugs and guns. He says this is a fugitive they’re happy to get off the streets, in part thanks to a NewsChannel 3 viewer.
“Through the help of Channel 3 and other agencies, we were able to get it done,” says Alley.
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach