Mother arrested after 7-year-old left in car in Newport News
Newport News, Va. – A Newport News mother was charged with child neglect on Saturday after police found her 7-year-old son in the back seat of a vehicle soaked from rain falling through the open sun roof.
The boy was found after police responded to a complaint of a loud party and a crying child in a car in the 7900 block of Merrimac Lane.
The boy told police his mother had been gone for a while, and after 45 minutes officers found 23-year-old Tranesha Terry at a nearby house. Terry initially refused to identify herself as the child’s mother.
Terry was arrested and charged with Abuse/Neglect Child: Reckless disregard for life and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Dominion Blvd. emergency closure in place
- Police investigating after man claiming workers' comp treated day before for sports injury