Man accused of breaking into cars while parents dropped off kids at daycare
York-Poquoson - A man who is accused of stealing from parents while they dropped off their kids at daycare is still wanted by deputies after a chase down Rt. 17 Wednesday morning.
Earlier that morning, workers at a local daycare and school say surveillance video caught the man driving off in a silver Mercedes after smashing a window on a car and snatching a purse in their parking lot.
The first break-in happened at Goddard School on Hampton Highway at around 7:30 a.m.
The other happened at A+ Child Care Center on Rt. 17.
Not long afterward, a York-Poquoson sheriff’s deputy spotted the Mercedes driving down Rt. 17. They say the man refused to stop and the chase began.
Witnesses tell NewsChannel 3 they saw a lot of police cars in an area on Fort Eustis Boulevard. That’s where deputies say the man hit one of their cars and another car. They say the accident was only minor and the chase continued before the Mercedes got lost in traffic on I-64 headed towards Newport News.
Later on, deputies say, the car was found parked at a hotel in a neighboring city.
They say it’s a rental car out of Florida.
Goddard School officials say, last week a similar incident happened there. They say their surveillance video caught a guy drive away in the same silver Mercedes after breaking into a different car.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found