Tractor-trailer driver charged in Suffolk bus accident
Suffolk, Va. – Crews responded to a crash involving a Suffolk school bus and a log truck, according to Suffolk Spokesperson Diana Klink.
It happened at 7:56 a.m. Tuesday morning in the 1100 block of Buckhorn Drive near the intersection of Holland Road (Route 58).
The bus came to rest in a ditch, which caused the roadway to be closed for a brief period of time while the bus was towed from the scene. Three children were on the bus at the time of the accident.
The driver of the school bus was ground transported to Sentara Obici Hospital with a non-life threatening injury to his arm. No other injuries have been reported.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 56-year-old Manuel Silvester Wiggins, was charged with driving on the wrong side of the road.
Police say the accident was caused when the tractor-trailer portion of the 18-wheeler went over the center portion of the roadway as both vehicles entered a sharp curve traveling in opposite directions.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'