Toano Middle School evacuated due to natural gas odor
Toano Middle School was evacuated Friday morning after the school’s resource officer noticed a natural gas odor near the school’s boiler room.
Officials tell NewsChannel 3 the school resource officer contacted the fire department at 8:07 a.m. Friday morning.
Fire crews were on the scene within minutes; when they arrived, the school had been evacuated.
The area did not test positive for natural gas; crews conducted tests and all came back negative.
Officials shut off the gas supply before conducting those tests.
Fire crews ventilated the building and students were let back into the building shortly after 9 a.m.
The school recently had three gas water heaters installed. When they went to inspect them, there was a problem with the vents.
Two of the three water heaters were shut down for repairs.
The odor was caused by bad ventilation coming from one of those heaters in the kitchen area. The kitchen area is now closed.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Slain officer's text messages will be evidence at murder trial
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home