Jefferson Lab to conduct tornado warning siren test on Friday
Newport News, Va. – The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility will conduct a of test its tornado warning siren at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013.
Depending on weather conditions at the time of the test, the siren could be heard by anyone within a 1.5-mile radius of the lab.
The test will be carried out over a period that could last from 30 seconds to three minutes. The test will be of the wavering tone (also called high-low-high or 10-4-10).
Jefferson Lab uses the siren to quickly alert members of the lab community who are working outdoors to “take cover” in the event of tornadoes and tornado warnings in the immediate vicinity of the lab.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery