PVT Herbert Powles
Today we honor Private Herbert Powles.
He served in the late 1930s for the civilian conservation corp working to build state parks – specifically Douthat State Park, which is located in the Allegheny Mountains in Virginia.
Private Powles served in World War II as a vehicle mechanic – servicing jeeps in Germany.
He was married to his wife “Ruth” for 63 years.
Private Powles passed in October 2007 at age 91.
He had 3 children, 6 granchildren and 4 great-grand children.
We thank him for his service.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- UPDATE: Cargo ship runs aground in Virginia Beach; crews to start salvage plan Friday
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call