Portsmouth, Va. – The I-264 West Downtown Tunnel will remain open this weekend for the Labor Day holiday, Friday, Aug. 30 through Monday, Sept. 2.
Crews will resume rehabilitation of the I-264 West Downtown Tunnel with a westbound full tunnel closure the weekend of Sept. 6-9.
The Elizabeth River Tunnels construction team has made significant progress to extend the life and increase safety of the 61-year-old facility.
Much of the initial work completed to date has been in preparation for the installation of the Promat fireproofing which will provide structural protection.
Work completed through the first three consecutive weekend tunnel closures includes:
• Inspection of the tunnel roadway and lower air duct to identify necessary repairs.
• Removal of police booths and the handrail.
• Laser mapping of tunnel to devise outline placement of jet fans.
• Testing to identify the optimum method for anchoring the new LED lighting to the tunnel walls.
• Identifying and priming of ceiling cracks for repair.
• Removal and relocation of ceiling conduit.
• Rerouting electrical power to tunnel lighting and cameras.
Westbound tunnel closures are scheduled to continue through spring 2014, with the exception of holiday and designated event weekends. Full closures are necessary for the safety of both the workers and motorists. Much of the rehabilitation work is being done overhead and crosses the center line of the tunnel. Travel through the eastbound tunnel is not affected during the westbound closures and will remain open to vehicular traffic.
A complete calendar of the closures, as well as a map featuring alternate routes can be found at DriveERT.com.
To view photos of the rehabilitation work, check out the Project Flickr site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/driveert.