Bell rings at Mary’s Park in Hampton to celebrate 50th Anniversary of March on Washington
Hampton, Va. – A special ceremony was held in Hampton at Mary`s Park today to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington.
City officials along with others gathered there to honor the 50th anniversary.
Those in Hampton were joined by hundreds of thousands who also remembered the day and the ongoing fight for racial equality in our nation.
Led by civil right leaders like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the task 50 years ago was to break the color barrier and to expose injustices fueled by racial prejudice.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video