Jamaican scammers target disabled Newport News man
Newport News, Va. – A disabled Newport News man is one of the latest victims of a phone scam originating from Jamaica.
“I was excited,” said Craig Moore, speaking of the moment when someone call him from an 876 area code and said he won $8.5 million in a lottery.
“I said, ‘I hope you ain’t lying to me,’” said Moore who was diagnosed with MS years ago. “I’m thankful for what I have, but I was thinking about what I could have as far as helping somebody else.”
Moore followed the instructions to wire more than $800 to Montego Bay, Jamaica as a service fee to receive his money.
The money never came.
Moore reached out to NewsChannel 3 to share his story hoping no one else would fall victim.
“So I could help somebody else that’s what [God] would have me to do so nobody else gets scammed,” he said.
The Federal Trade Commission and Jamaican authorities are teaming up to put an end to these scams. If you’ve received these calls report them at 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) or on the FTC website.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales