Two arrested after Newport News bank robbery
Newport News, Va. – Newport News Police have detained a man and woman in connection with a bank robbery the Old Point National Bank at 11134 Warwick Boulevard at the intersection of Harpersville Road.
Police say at least one of the two suspects entered the bank and demanded money. They then left in a vehicle with an undetermined amount of cash.
The vehicle was then stopped on Seldon Road after a description of the vehicle was broadcast to officers.
The man and woman were detained without incident. The evidence from the robbery was also recovered.
The man has been identified as Mujahid Rashid, 35, of Smithfield and the woman has been identified as Regina Rochelle Reed, 25, of Newport News.
Rashid has been charged in the bank robbery at Old Point National Bank as well as an August 7, 2013 robbery of the Family Dollar at 6000 Jefferson Avenue.
He has been charged with 2 counts of robbery, 3 counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, 2 counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, 4 counts of conspiracy to commit a felony, abduction and entering a bank while armed to commit a larceny.
Reed has been charged with 2 counts of robbery and 2 counts of conspiracy to commit a felony.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million