Tropical Storm Erin forms off coast of Africa
Tropical Depression Five has strengthened to Tropical Storm Erin.
It is about 65 miles West-Southwest of the Cape Verde Islands and moving West-Northwest with 40 mph winds.
That general motion is expected to continue over the next several days. Some additional strengthening is possible.
We are still watching an area of showers and storms in the Caribbean Sea. There is a high chance (70%) of this system developing into a tropical cyclone as it moves toward the southern Gulf of Mexico.
Tropical Storm Erin:
Location: 14.5°N 25.6°W
Moving: WNW at 16 mph
Min pressure: 1006 mb
Max sustained: 40 mph
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean