USS Bataan sailors, civilians injured in small boat training exercise
Norfolk, Va. – Four sailors from the USS Bataan and three civilians were injured during small boat training today near Thimble Shoals Channel off the coast of Hampton Roads.
A rigid hull inflatable boat collided with the USNS Big Horn during the exercise, according to the Navy.
The Navy says the three civilians were instructors from the Center for Security Forces.
Six injured individuals were taken to Sentara Virginia Beach Hospital and one sailor was treated at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek, Va.
Two sailors have been released and another remains in the hospital for observation.
All injuries are considered non-life-threatening the Navy says.
There’s been no word yet on the status of the three civilians and officials are now investigating this case.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations