Suffolk man shot in his backyard after returning from work
Suffolk, Va. – The Suffolk Police Department is investigating after a man was hospitalized in a shooting Wednesday night.
Emergency dispatchers received the call at 11:16 p.m. Wednesday night.
It happened in the 300 block of Hill Street in the Olde Town neighborhood of downtown Suffolk. The victim was approached from the rear and was shot as he got out of his vehicle in his backyard after returning from work.
The victim was able to make his way to a neighbor’s porch for assistance, and was ground transported by EMS to Sentara Norfolk General. The suspect ran away.
The victim has been identified as 50-year-old Edward Wiggins of the 300 block of Hill Street.
Wiggins underwent surgery Wednesday night and remains hospitalized at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Police request that anyone that may have information on this incident contact Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. When calling Crime Line, callers do not have to give their names or appear in court. If information leads to an arrest, the caller could qualify for a reward of up to $1,000.
The incident remains under investigation.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’