Veteran nurse surprised by co-workers and NewsChannel 3
A stunned Georgia Freeman made her way into a room at Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center, packed with well-wishers. There were emotional hugs for a nurse being recognized for her big heart.
The hospital is honoring Freeman with a special award for her dedication in helping others. Patients have been known to call her at home even after they’ve checked out of the hospital.
Tears fell as letters of tribute were read reflecting on Freeman’s 35 years of going the extra mile for patients and for her nurturing ways with co-workers. Then came our surprise.
After the hospital’s recognition, we surprised her with a NewsChannel 3 People Taking Action Award.
We let Freeman know that it was her adopted daughter Courtney who sent us an email inviting us to honor her, a daughter that was adopted when she was two-months-old.
Freeman already had two kids and was working full-time. In the email Courtney wrote, “She has given me the best life I could ever wish for.”
We also presented Freeman with a $100 Visa gift card from our community partner Southern Bank.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean