Severe Thunderstorm watches now canceled
Update: The severe thunderstorm watches for the area have now been canceled.
By Ricky Matthews
VIPIR Weather Intern
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued for parts of the NewsChannel 3 viewing area until 10pm Friday evening. The watch includes all of the Peninsula, Middle Peninsula, and Eastern Shore.
Northeast NC is not included in the watch, however, strong to possibly severe storms can still occur outside of watch boxes. A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means that conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms.
Counties included in the watch are: Accomack, Northampton, Chesapeake, Gloucester, Matthews, Middlesex, James City, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Poquoson, Surry, Isle of Wight, Southampton, Virginia Beach and York. Hertford, Gates and Northampton Counties in NC are also included.
Remember, by definition a severe thunderstorm is a storm that contains damaging winds in excess of 60mph and/or hail over 1 inch in diameter. Many times, these storms do contain vivid lightning, however, that is neither a requirement nor a reason for a warning to be issued. Stay with NewsChannel 3 for the latest updates and possible warnings this afternoon.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Virginia Beach teen killed in six-car crash on I-64 in Hampton
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million