UPDATE: Two hospitalized in TCC administration building evacuation
Norfolk, Va. – Tidewater Community College employees in the Green District Administration Building on College Place in downtown Norfolk were evacuated for about an hour on Wednesday morning, June 26, due to an unknown chemical substance that caused coughing and irritation.
TCC’s other buildings in downtown Norfolk were unaffected, officials say.
The substance was first detected around 10:20 a.m. Employees were told to evacuate as the Norfolk Fire Department was called. Fire officials were unable to identify either the type of chemical or its source. Several employees were seen by paramedics, and two were transported to the hospital.
An all-clear was issued around 11:30 a.m. once the building’s HVAC system had dissipated the chemical, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
About 225 employees work in the building.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 as updates are released.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Who wrote it -- man or woman? Take our handwriting quiz!