UPDATE: Two hospitalized in TCC administration building evacuation
Norfolk, Va. – Tidewater Community College employees in the Green District Administration Building on College Place in downtown Norfolk were evacuated for about an hour on Wednesday morning, June 26, due to an unknown chemical substance that caused coughing and irritation.
TCC’s other buildings in downtown Norfolk were unaffected, officials say.
The substance was first detected around 10:20 a.m. Employees were told to evacuate as the Norfolk Fire Department was called. Fire officials were unable to identify either the type of chemical or its source. Several employees were seen by paramedics, and two were transported to the hospital.
An all-clear was issued around 11:30 a.m. once the building’s HVAC system had dissipated the chemical, officials tell NewsChannel 3.
About 225 employees work in the building.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 as updates are released.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight