Senior guardsman removed over sex assault allegations
Sgt. Maj. Tommy Caillier was removed on June 14 “for cause” in relation to allegations by a member of the National Guard, spokesman Lt. Col Mike Kazmierzak said.
A criminal investigation has been launched into possible sexual assault, he said.
Caillier has requested defense council from the National Guard, Kazmierzak said.
The case comes as the U.S. military is under pressure to crack down on sexual assault that victims say is rampant in the culture of the armed forces.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship