Senior guardsman removed over sex assault allegations
Sgt. Maj. Tommy Caillier was removed on June 14 “for cause” in relation to allegations by a member of the National Guard, spokesman Lt. Col Mike Kazmierzak said.
A criminal investigation has been launched into possible sexual assault, he said.
Caillier has requested defense council from the National Guard, Kazmierzak said.
The case comes as the U.S. military is under pressure to crack down on sexual assault that victims say is rampant in the culture of the armed forces.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down