Beach double-murder suspect wants confession thrown out
Virginia Beach, Va. – A woman arrested for the murder of two brothers at a Virginia Beach Rally’s wants her video taped confession thrown out for her trial.
Twenty-year-old Cheari Edwards and her 23-year-old boyfriend Deandre Dunnaway are charged with murdering their Rally’s co-worker Alphonso White and his brother Michael Johnson.
Virginia Beach police say the couple planned to rob Alphonso at closing time in January, but they say Dunnaway shot the brothers while Edwards packed up the money.
Edwards’ defense attorney says her video taped confession during an interview with detectives shouldn’t be used at trial.
Detectives brought Edwards in for questioning days after the murder, but they didn’t place her under arrest until after she made incriminating statements.
NewsChannel 3 viewed early portions of the nearly 12-hour long video. In it, Edwards is seen holding her pregnant stomach and sleeping on the floor while detectives bounced back and forth between questioning her and Dunnaway.
Edwards’ attorney takes issue with how long the interview went on and when detectives read her Miranda Rights.
The judge could decide to throw out all, some or none of the video taped confession.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Who wrote it -- man or woman? Take our handwriting quiz!