PHOTOS: Navy marks 71st anniversary of the Battle of Midway
The Navy is marking the 71st anniversary of the Battle of Midway.
Dozens of sailors and marines gathered at the Naval Aviation Memorial in Virginia Beach for a wreath laying ceremony.
Several Navy leaders spoke about the significance of the Battle of Midway.
It was one of the most important naval battles after Pearl Harbor during World War II.
After Midway – the United States would soon take the offensive over Japan.
The Rear Admiral of US Fleet Forces Command spoke about unsung heroes and different acts of valor during the war in 1942.
“We are a nation of great people and the only way we will stay strong is if we remember our forebearers that went before us, and set the standard of greatness.”
The wreath was laid in front of the pilot’s statue at the Naval Aviation Memorial, which is located at 25th Street and Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach.Submit Your Photo
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom