Maria Belaya earns automatic bid to the 64 Player National Tournament
Williamsburg, Va. – William and Mary’s Maria Belaya is the colonial athletic association player of the year and earned an automatic bid to the 64 player national tournament.
In the second round, she faced 20th ranked Kyle Mcphillips of UCLA. Belaya fell in straight sets 6-1 and 6-1 ending her run at a national championship. But it is not over for her.
She also automatically qualified for the doubles tournament. She and partner Jeltji Loomins are ranked 13th in the country. In the opening round they took down the 10th ranked team in the Auburn Lady Tigers.
The score was 6-3 and 6-4. The tribe duo will now face the tournaments number 3, Patricia Veresova Nad Mary Weathereholt of Nebraska. They are also ranked third in the country. Good luck to the green and gold of William and Mary!
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’