Maria Belaya earns automatic bid to the 64 Player National Tournament
Williamsburg, Va. – William and Mary’s Maria Belaya is the colonial athletic association player of the year and earned an automatic bid to the 64 player national tournament.
In the second round, she faced 20th ranked Kyle Mcphillips of UCLA. Belaya fell in straight sets 6-1 and 6-1 ending her run at a national championship. But it is not over for her.
She also automatically qualified for the doubles tournament. She and partner Jeltji Loomins are ranked 13th in the country. In the opening round they took down the 10th ranked team in the Auburn Lady Tigers.
The score was 6-3 and 6-4. The tribe duo will now face the tournaments number 3, Patricia Veresova Nad Mary Weathereholt of Nebraska. They are also ranked third in the country. Good luck to the green and gold of William and Mary!
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Man struck and killed by truck in Newport News; driver arrested